Thursday, July 4, 2024

Here's Daaavey!

 I'm back, after a year off doing whatever it was I did.

I wrote a book in the meantime. A Breath of  Fresh Air (A Transplant Tale), a fictional look at the life and trials of a cystic fibrosis patient waiting desperately for a lung transplant, and informed by my own life.

You may remember this book with thirty or forty different names. Tougher Than the Rest. Glass Half Full. Whistling Past the Graveyard. A Tale of Two Cities. (Maybe not that last one.)

Tentative publication will be August 26th, which happens to be the 20th anniversary of my transplant. Details to follow, of course.

And now, a brief foray into the minefield that is the 2024 Presidential election (pauses to duck objects thrown at me).

I love Joe Biden, always have. I rooted for him every time he ran for President, and was beyond delighted that he won in 2020 (I forget who he beat).

Now, though, the writing is on the wall. While I think he is still able to be President, I don't think he can run and win, not anymore. An unhealthy 75% of voters think he is too old. Perception is reality. 

I think Biden should announce he is not going to run, and soon. He should free his delegates to vote their conscience, and there should be a spirited set of debates by such Democratic luminaries as Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer  Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear, and Maryland Gov. Wes Moore, among others. 

There would be a raucous and exciting open convention in Chicago, and the winner would enter the final stretch in good shape. 

Joe Biden would retire with his reputation intact as one of the finest people in Washington, having twice put his country first. Imagine the raucous reception he would receive at the convention.

I hope he reads this blog. I'm sure he'd be convinced.



1 comment:

  1. Awesome blogpost Dave! Couldn’t agree more.

    ReplyDelete

Shameless Plug (Number Two in a Series)

 At long last, it's done. Three hundred and thirty-four pages of thrills, chills, and pills (lots of pills*) A Breath of Fresh Air (A Tr...