Thursday, July 25, 2024

Serendipity

A song by a band called the Silver Seas came up at random yesterday. I love the band, cofounded by Daniel Tashian. The Guardian's Michael Hann said of Tashian that he "appears to be one of those songwriters from whom melodies simply pour, and there's barely a misplaced chord in this perfect miniature." I can't phrase that nearly as elegantly but agree that no matter the project; whether solo, with the Silver Seas, or even with Burt Bacharach (!) Tashian has a rare and unusual gift for melody.

Tashian is the son of Barry; the elder Tashian was the lead singer for legendary 60s band Barry and the Remains, once referred to as "America's Greatest Lost Band" by Paste magazine. 

After I heard the song by the Silver Seas, I looked on Apple Music to see if they had any new releases. They didn't, but I did find an old album called Chateau Revenge! that I had overlooked. 

I put a pot of coffee on and began listening to the album, a beguiling collection of infectious pop tunes. Then, the eighth song started, called "Candy," and I was head-over-heels.

"Candy" is a perfect pop song, Every Single Note, with soaring vocals and shimmering harmonies. Many repeated plays later (unsurprising to anyone who knows me) I thought about the serendipity of finding and hearing this album. If the other Silver Seas' song hadn't come on, maybe I never would have discovered Chateau Revenge!, or "Candy." And to me, that would have been a huge loss.

The point? (Finally). When someone tells you there are no good songs anymore (or good TV for that matter)*, tell them to keep their ears, and eyes, open. Listen to friends who have similar tastes. I have three friends with radio shows that are a tremendous source of new and new-to-me music: This is Rock 'n' Roll Radio With Dana and Carl (westcottradio.org) from 9-midnight on Sundays and hosted since the late 90s by Dana Bonn and Carl Cafarelli; and Soulshine (soulshineradio.com) and Nightshine (nightshineradio.com), on Wednesdays, 8-10 PM, both shows hosted by Dave Frisina. All three shows have introduced me to zillions (literally)** of new songs I might have never heard.

But I also find myself using Shazam all the time during TV shows (Who is THAT?! ) or even walking through Wegmans (unthinkable thirty years ago). I'm always listening, but not to commercial radio. I'm not knocking today's pop stars, but they're not for me.

There's plenty of music, old and new, that is for me. There is no shortage of great music you've never heard.. Keep your ears open.

* The Bear. Please watch The Bear.
** I know, I know. Private joke.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Bermuda Triangle and Other News

I have a long list of people who want a copy of A Breath of Fresh Air (A Transplant Tale), including three family members (!) Ugh. Unfortuna...